What would a “Tactical Gentleman’s Weekend” for Gun Culture 2.0 look like?
It’s an interesting challenge, because let’s face it, shooting stuff from speedboats is FUN, while learning how to de-escalate an angry drunk has a certain “eat your broccoli, it’s good for you” feel to it. It’s been my goal for a while now to eat my broccoli and become a responsible gun owner in every sense of the word. The issue is, though, that society today does not see “responsible” as a desirable thing, so balancing the broccoli and the ice cream is an ongoing challenge.
With that in-mind, here’s what I’d like to see in two-day “tactical gentleman’s” weekend that would apply to today’s CCW holder.
- A Heavy Emphasis On Concealed Carry
Ideally, you’d have to commit to coming to class with your primary carry rig, along with a few extra mag pouches for administration purposes.
- Holistic, lifestyle-based approach to personal protection.
Concealed carry, home defense, whatever.
- Defending others as well as yourself.
Girlfriend, friends, family, whatever. We don’t live on a deserted island, and our training shouldn’t reflect that either.
Some specific topics to cover:
- Creating a safe room, home security, low-light ops
- De-Escalation / Situational Awareness
- Intro to Empty hand / Combatives
- Basic Trauma Care
- Shoot / No Shoot (ideally in a shoothouse of some kind
Will I ever see such a thing in my lifetime? Dunno. But it’d be cool when it happens.