Now that Trump is in office gun makers are thinking “Ok, Obama’s gone, now we’re going back to normal” but the fact is, we’re still in an abnormal market environment.
When was the last time that:
- Concealed carry, in one form or another, was the law of the land?
- Personal protection and target shooting were the main driver of gun sales?
- There is no federal Assault Weapons Ban, nor a credible threat of one being on the horizon?
- We have a pro-gun President and a nominally pro-gun (ok, how about ‘not virulently anti-gun’?) Congress?
- Legislation that expands our right to self-defense (rather than more gun control) made it through the House of Representatives?
This is a target-rich environment. I hope we do something with it. Market forces have driven the price of guns down to ridiculous levels, clogging up the Retention part of the customer lifecycle. People who own already guns have taken advantage of the ridiculous prices of the past year, which makes Ruger’s new product strategy a very, very good idea.
For the first time in over a hundred years, guns are normal. Let’s keep it that way.